Minutes | August 24, 2012
Meeting Minutes: August 24, 2012
- The Car Hop at the Panther Mountain Inn was a huge success with 17cars displayed and a great turn out of observers. …………. The 50/50 raffle made $135 for the Alliance and another Car Hop is planned for September 14th…. Same time, same place. Many went out to enjoy dinner in the local establishments afterwards, again, meeting our goal to bring more people into downtown!
- Plans for the Main Street Garage Sale to correspond with Warrensburg’s Largest Garage Sale are moving forward. More than 100,000 shoppers (according to Warrensburg’s Chamber of Commerce site) attend each year and we should tap into this influx of visitors and lure a few of them north to our town. The Alliance will be purchasing and lending out lawn signs saying “Town Garage Sale This Weekend” and advertising in the Adirondack Journal. People on or near Main Street are encouraged to have their sale this weekend, and we’re looking into using the bank parking lots for additional vendors and sellers. Classes from NW High School are invited to set up food booths, and the Panther Mt. Inn will be having an Oktoberfest tent in front of their establishment. Anyone interested in having a garage sale that weekend (September 29 & 30) should contact Debra at #494-5762.
- The Annual 5K race is scheduled for September 22nd and the Helpers Fund needs volunteers for that morning. Anyone interested please contact Mary Jane at #494-3336.
- There will be a North Warren County 200 year Celebration Dinner at Jimbos on Thursday, September 6th to raise money for the actual Bi-Centennial to be held next year. The event runs from 6-10pm with a four course dinner and cash bar. Tickets are $27 and are available from Tom Johansen at #494-3759.
- The total disrepair of the old Ford Garage building across from Barton/McDermott Funeral Home was brought up as many requests have been made to the town to tear down this dangerous, abandoned building but nothing has yet been done. We believe the Town has $40,000 set aside to deal with this, and The Alliance will be writing a letter to the Chester Town Board and Betty Little to address this issue, as the 200’ x 200’ lot would make a great spot for additional parking at the north end of town in lieu of the new businesses and restaurants coming in.
- RAILROADS ON PARADE will be having Grandparents Day on Sunday, September 9th, from noon to 5pm, where one grandparent gets in free with every grandchild. What a great way to spend an afternoon and check out this great attraction!
- The Alliance will also be writing a letter to the DOT regarding the timing of paving Main Street. One day in the summer is like 2 weeks income in the winter, and to have disrupted traffic, parking etc. on a busy summer afternoon was not necessary. No notice was given to business owners, and there is plenty of time to do this type of work in the spring or the fall.
- Attendance has been off at these summer meetings of the Tri-Lakes Alliance but we hope it will pick up once our busy season starts to wind down. Many great ideas come up every meeting, but we need to continue to work together as a group to make things happen.
Meeting was adjourned at 9:48 am.
Next meeting: Friday, September 7, 2012 ~ 9am ~ at the Panther Mountain Inn.