Minutes | March 9, 2012
Meeting Minutes: March 9, 2012
- The idea of having local artists paint the benches that are put out in Chestertown each summer was discussed and John Holman, owner of the Art in Chestertown Gallery, will be contacting local artists regarding this. Year round town banners in all three towns was also discussed and the group will be presenting the idea to the Town Boards for approval. The banners would be sponsored by local businesses and if approved by the town, designs will be submitted for review and letters sent out for sponsorships.
- The sign committee continues to work with Fred Monroe and Betty Little on additional Northway signage and the one hour parking signs in front of the old health center are being asked to be removed as they’re no longer needed and they affect surrounding businesses. The town will also be cutting back trees and shrubbery that is currently covering some of the current informational signs.
- The alliance will be submitting a letter to the town requesting additional lighting at the Route 8 and Schroon River Road intersection.
- There will be a mixer with the North Warren Chamber of Commerce and the North Creek Chamber at the Panther Mt. Inn on March 15th with live music and door prizes. All are encouraged to attend.
- With the new Price Chopper coming to Warrensburg, there is concern about the Chestertown Grand Union closing and leaving a void in the community. Loss of jobs and convenience would result from this and ideas are needed for a solution.
- Suggestions for taking advantage of the influx of people the Americade and the Warrensburg Garage Sale bring into the area were discussed and hopefully events can be coordinated by our towns to tie into these busy weekends.
- There will be an Economic Development Conference on April 10, 2012 at the Tannery Pond Community Center in North Creek with representatives from key State and local economic development programs.
- Chestertown Farmers Market is off to a successful start with vendor applications and Friends of the Market donations coming in. Garnet Signs has offered to make the signs for the Market at a considerable discount, andHawazin Harijan will be the Entertainment Coordinator for the Market and will provide the musicians, schedule and sound system. A stipend of $50 will be paid to musicians on the day they perform, and musicians can place a tip bucket. There will also be a couple amateur days with students from the school. Anyone interested in participating can contact Hawazin at [email protected] .
- There are some great ideas coming from this Alliance, but more people are needed to volunteer their time and work on committees, write letters and attend Town Meetings. Please pass the word.
Meeting was adjourned at 10am.
Next meeting: Friday, March 23, 2012 ~ 9am ~ at the Panther Mountain Inn.