Minutes | November 13, 2015
Taste of the Tri-Lakes: Tuesday – December 1st along with the Rotary Memory Tree Lighting in the center of town. Event runs from 5:30 to 7:30 with the Tree Lighting at 6:30. Free Smores & Carriage Rides by Circle B Ranch, $1 tickets let you sample some of our local restaurants… enjoy great food, Caroling with church & NWCS singers and a great home town community evening to help bring in the Holidays! Forms and flyers are out to the restaurants and any business interested in participating please let us know asap (just reply to this email).
Retirement Party for Fred Monroe: The Chester Town Board, NW Chamber of Commerce & the TLBA will be organizing a retirement party for Fred Monroe on January 29th at Jimbos. Mark your calendars to attend and recognize all the work Fred has done for our community over the many years he has been in office! $200 was donated by the TLBA to help with this celebration.
Electronic Bulletin Board: moving forward and a big Thank You to Paul at Garnet Signs for all his help in bringing this project to fruition!
Congratulations to Craig Leggett! The Supervisor Election was a good, clean race Chestertown should be proud of and thank you to Karen Smith for organizing & moderating the debates.
Shop Outside the Box: December 12th & 13th. Art Gallery, Rustic Charm, Main St. Ice Cream Parlor, Adirondack General Store, Lazy Moose, The Crossroads & Fill-Er-Up will be participating with great specials and gifts for your holiday shopping. Get your card stamped at all participating businesses to be entered into drawings for gift certificates! BUY LOCAL & Support our local businesses!
Dog Park: Many in both Horicon & Chestertown have expressed a need for a Dog Park where people can go to exercise their dogs…. any ideas on how/where to do this would be appreciated!
Theatre Sponsors: Thank you to Point of Pines / Jimbo’s for their $250 donation making them a Gold Sponsor! Gallo Realty has donated an additional $250 and is now a Platinum Donor for the Theatre. Norma & Harold Penistan have donated $50 (Bronze Sponsor) and all monies will go toward advertising & paying the performers for next season’s performances. Anyone interested in donating to the theatre productions the TLBA organizes each year can be mailed directly to the TLBA at PO Box 56 – Chestertown, NY 12817. A 2016 season’s pass to all events has been sent to all donors with many thanks to all!
NWCS Update: Bernie McCann gave a presentation on all of the new things happening at our school. A brief summary:
- Randy Ellsworth has donated a collection of Adirondack related & a Historical Novel Collection which will be available to all in a new Adirondack Room at the school. The Ross/Lambert Foundation donated $1,500 & Mr. Ellsworth then matched it to go toward a K-8 collection.
- Mass Media, English, History, Photography Class & MOAS students are doing a video on the history of our area.
- 100 acres of new town trails behind the school are open to the public
- Baseball field behind the new school has now been re-done
- In co-operation with the Town of Chester, the school will be open for indoor walking for at least 2 nights a week this winter.
- Science Class is working on an energy project to improve efficiency at the school.
- A $50,000 grant was given by Betty Little to get high school students Chrome Books
- Revitalized PTO is doing a lot for the school and their work is greatly appreciated!
- Reading Committees have been formed to change the student’s view of reading and develop a new Community Wide Reading Program.
- Student Book Club will be started.
- A new Debate Team will be formed this January
- Plans to get a true Alumni Association together
- Adult Education Classes
Downhill Derby: February 13th.
Brant Lake Winter Carnival: February 20th.
St. Patrick’s Day Parade: March 12th.
Bike Ride: May 20th
Next Meeting Friday, December 11, 2015
at 9:00 a.m. at Panther Mountain Inn
THERE WILL BE NO MEETING NOVEMBER 27TH IN LIEU OF THANKSGIVING WEEKEND