Minutes | January 24, 2014
Meeting Minutes: January 24, 2014
- Brant Lake Winter Carnival is set for Saturday February 8th, starting @ 11am with Fireworks at dusk. Again, a huge Thank You to The Town of Horicon for their generous donation to help with this event! We still need a few volunteers for that day to assist with the Main Desk and sign-ups, parking, bonfire attendants, etc. so if you can help out in any way for an hour time slot, let us know! We still need teams for organized Broom Ball games – if you have a team, we have the Broomball sticks and balls so just let us know! Randy & Patti Berg have collected $845 for cash prizes for the Out House Race that day so if you’re planning on entering a team for either the Broom Ball Tournaments or Out House Races, please contact Cindy Mead at [email protected] to pre-register. The Stony Creek Band will be playing after the firework display.
Alliance agreed to purchase additional insurance to cover rented or borrowed vehicles for all of the TLBA events (+/- $130 a year). There will be a shuttle service at the Carnival this year because a large crowd is expected, and this coverage will undoubtedly be utilized in the future.
TENTATIVE Schedule of events:
Curling Demonstrations or Try it Yourself by the Lake Placid Curling Team (11-3)
Snow Shoe Softball: begins @ 11am. Local adult teams in competitions
Ladies Frying Pan Toss: between 12:30 and 1:30
Broom Ball Tournaments: 1:30 to 2:30
Hockey Shoot Off: 2:30 to 3:00
Out House Race: Line up by 2:30. Races begin @ 3:00
General skating, sliding hill for the kids, if we get snow! (bring your own sled & skates), Ice Golf, Ice Bowling, Vintage Snowmobile Display, Children’s Face Painting, Food, Music, Bon Fires and MORE all day long…. All rules, times and events are subject to change due to weather conditions and general mishaps. Participate or spectate ~ either way, you’re guaranteed to have a fun time!
- A discussion was held on Music Venues and when the TLBA would contribute or pay for live entertainment. It was agreed the decision should be on a case to case basis with the vote coming from the Committee Members who volunteered for the event being planned.
- Placemat Advertising : Placemats are printed and ready for pick-up. Contact Donnie if you want some for your business to hand out or use – they look great! If you haven’t paid your $75 for your submitted ad, please do so ASAP. Payments can be made out to TLBA (Tri-Lakes Business Alliance) – PO Box 56 – Chestertown, NY 12817.
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade is scheduled for March 8th with a 1pm step off. A Huge Thank You to the Town of Chester for the generous donation for this event! Floats from Local Businesses, Bands, Firehouses, Schools and Scout troops are all needed so please contact Don Butler or Keith Wilkinson for more information! It was suggested the local Lake Communities (Loon, Brant, Friends, ESSLA ?????) all enter floats for a bit of competition???
- Signage on our I87 Exits: Still working on getting all the necessary groups of people together.
- Carroll Theatre: A group met with the owner of the Carroll Theatre to discuss his interest in pursuing /agreeing with our looking into Grant Monies, etc. that could be used to revive the theatre. He is in agreement and anyone interested in assisting with this committee let us know as it will be a lengthy process!
- The Chamber of Commerce is looking for volunteers for the Chestertown Summer Fest to be held Saturday July 5th. Anyone able to help should contact the Chamber Office.
- Arts & Crafts Festival Committee had their first meeting and will be contacting over 200 artisans in the area for this event planned for the future. Their next meeting is Thursday, January 30th, 8:30 am if you want to get involved!!!!
- Lazy Moose Garden Market: Trish Shimer, owner of the Lazy Moose Garden Market (previously Brant Lake Garden Center on Rte 8), presented their plans for a Garden Center, General Store, Bakery (!), Deli (serving light breakfast and lunch), Ice Cream, and Local Artisan Crafts. Opening Date is May 1, 2014 with an Open House planned for Memorial Day Weekend. Best of Luck to this new business in town! Think Global… Buy Local!
- A letter was submitted to the Alliance from an individual who is upset with the condition of some of the buildings on Main Street and Riverside Drive. The individual’s letter was sent to the Chester Town Board and the Alliance agreed that a letter from our organization supportive of this opinion and offering to help with the improvement of the situation will be drafted and discussed at our next meeting.
Next meeting is Friday, February 7, 2014 at 9am @ the Panther Mountain Inn.